Review Information And Topics On Drug Testing.
About 5% Of All People Taking Dug Tests Fail, Are Not Guilty And Then Must Prove Their Innocence.
This is often caused by hundreds of products that are wrongly identified as illegal drugs or other drugs of concern. Common prescriptions, over the counter medications and even foods can cause you to falsely test positive.
This is the testers dirty little secret and there has been many a person who failed a drug test with no clue as to why and with little or no recourse to prove their innocence. If you fail due to a false positive result you must prove yourself innocent. The testers do not need to do anything. Some testers are very helpful and some are not. You must handle your false positive situation carefully to turn it around.
Research has shown that urine drug tests generally produce more false positive tests than the other drug tests. There are over 1,000 labs in the United States currently testing for drugs. Studies have shown that less than a 100 of these meet federal standards and most states do not regulate these labs. Some of these labs are suspected of false positives as high as 25% of the drug test failures they see. There are also a greater number of urine and saliva drug tests that are given outside the testing labs by people not trained or qualified to give the tests. There is no information on the level of false positive drug tests in these conditions. One can only guess on this one.
Real World Example: Eating a poppy seed bagel can produce a false positive results for opiates according to an TV episode of "Myth Busters". The poppy seeds can lead to false-positive for opium for several days.
Most of the drug testing labs say it can not happen, but the MythBusters proved it can. A recent study showed only about 50% of the testers were aware of this issue. Many testers will tell you a false positive drug test is very rare. Why? Because that would cause all drug test results to be called into question, drug testing is big business and that would cost many people a bunch of money. You end up being the victim.
- Over The Counter Medications such as night time cold medications can cause a false positive test. This is particularly true of the liquid cold relievers as some contain members of the ephedrine family. Some common weight loss products are risky, as well as some nasal sprays and some over the counter asthma products.
- Foods can sometimes cause a false positive test.
- Common Vitamins Supplements can cause a false positive test. Riboflavin (B2) can return a false positive test for THC. Many herbs that contain B vitamins should be of concern.
- Prescription Medications such as antibiotics like ampicillin and amoxicillin are prime examples. Quite a few prescription pain medications should be of concern.
- Diseases such as diabetes, liver disease, and kidney infections may register as opiates.
- Ethnic Susceptibility - People with dark skin are particularly susceptible to false drug testing results when exposure to second hand marijuana or cocaine smoke is absorbed into their hair. No one knows why. It just sometimes happens.
Hundreds of Medications And Prescription Drugs Can A False Drug Test.
This does not mean these medications, prescriptions or foods will always cause a false drug test. The actual false drug screening can not be anticipated nor should you rely on it as a strategy to pass while still using. The outcome is very specific to the individual and/or the situation. Here are some of the more common sources of a false drug test:
- Pain relievers such as Advil, Uprin, Motrin.
- Menstrual cramp medications like Midol and Trendar.
- Ibuprofen is known to cause positive for Marijuana.
- Anti inflammatories such as Naproxyn.
- Dristan Nasal Spray, Neosynephren, Vicks Nasal Spray, Sudafed.
- Over the counter appetite suppressants which contain Propanolamine.
- Common nasal decongestants can cause a positive reading for Amphetamines.
- Vicks Formula 44M containing Dextromethorphan and Primatene-M containing Perylamine.
- Demerol, and prescription anti-depressant Elavil test positive for Opiates up to three days.
- Quinine water can also cause a positive reading for Opiates.
- Poppy Seeds represent a potentially serious source of falsely positive results in testing Opiate abuse.
- Nyquil Nighttime Cold Medicine will test positive for Methadone up to two days.
- Amoxicillin has caused positives for Cocaine.
- Diazepam tests positive for PCP.
ATC has collected a very extensive list of products, prescriptions, medications and foods which can cause a false positive drug test. You can search these results by selecting the first letter of the false positive reactant you are concerned about.
What To Do If I Get A False Positive Drug Test?
If you get a positive result you need to immediately try requesting a new test or even request a different type of drug test.
Most companies are sympathetic and will allow you to retest, particularly if you have a reasonable story and are sincere. Present to the testers and prescriptions or medications you might be taking and do your research s to what might have caused the false positive drug test. Use the handy search above for a complete list of false positives.
Always emphasize your innocence and the fact you do not know why you have failed. Be honest, concerned and DO NOT mention the possibility of a false positive drug test at this point.
You must then start your research on why you have failed and make the commitment to see your innocence to the end. Your confidence can make the difference.
If you are given a second chance to take the drug test you might want to consider the following factors and actions. This is the time for action if you are to get through this. If you understand these factors and actions you will be ahead of most of the people giving the drug tests. This is the edge you could really use.
- Let the testers know you are not guilty and request to be tested again. Do not let them retest you right then and there and expect a different result. You need time to identify why you failed.
- Write down all medications and prescriptions you have been taking over the past few months, keep the packages and makes sure to provide this information to the testers when you take your retest.
- Make plans for a new test and start a detoxification process as soon as possible. Do this whether you get the retest or not. It is better to be prepared for the retest and not get it then to get the retest and not be prepared. Being prepared is always a good strategy.
- Identify and obtain the detoxification product appropriate for the test you will face.
- Watch the food you eat. High fat foods, greasy foods (particularly butters, cream sauces, and fried foods) and junk foods slow the detoxification process.
- Stay away from anything On Our False Positive List.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, smoking or any unnecessary mediations or vitamins..
- Stay out of toxic environments.
- Consume (4) 16 oz. glasses of water each day. Drink and sip on them all day long and not all at once.
- Exercise up to the day of your retest, but not the day of your test.
Look At Your Legal Options.
The laws concerning trying to beat a drug test vary greatly depending on where you are taking your drug test. You might want to talk to an attorney with specific expertise in handling cases in the area of drug testing.
HOW TO RECOVER FROM A FALSE POSITIVE FAILURE
Get The Appropriate Detoxification Product And Study Our Page On How To Pass A Drug Test.
We Hope Always Test Clean Help You Pass A False Positive Drug Test.